Normally the 2020 show circuit would be well underway with a host of local shows and the great Balmoral Show was sadly missed by all last week. A large number of members have expressed how much they are missing the show season already, so we are going to do a ‘throwback’ to last year when the Salers made their debut at the Stars of the Future calf show.
There was a magnificent show of youngstock on display at the 10th annual Stars of the Future Show at United Auctions, Stirling, with 10 breeds represented on Saturday 9th November 2019.
The Salers made a highly successful breed debut, with Bacardi Orleans leading the Junior Continental section, a son of the French-bred, Magnificent, from Roy and Adam Crockett, Denholm, Hawick. He was later sold to Niall and Katie Blair for their Cammock herd of Salers.
The senior female was from the same home of Redock Estates and by the same sire Drumaglea Kes, Rednock Myrrh an August 2018 calf out of Rigel Myrtle lifted the senior female championship. In reserve was Colin McClymont’s, Cuil Nice, a Knottown Nector calf out of Cuil Delight.
The junior male champion Bacardi Orleans from Roy and Adam Crockett’s Bacardi herd secured the junior continental championship also and reserve to Orleans was Farmstock Genetics, with Cumbrian Olympia Poll a January 2019 born Cumbrian Lieutenant Poll calf out of Cumbrian Jaconde 901 Poll. Farmstock Genetics also won the junior female title with Cumbrian Hyacinth and Roy and Adam Crockett completed their successful day by securing the reserve junior title with Bacardi Octavia.
Let us hope we can support this again in 2020 and if not most definitely in 2021. Much thanks must go to all the exhibitors for such a fantastic display of cattle and for putting Salers on the ‘Stars of the Future’ map.
Salers (Judge: Iain Livesey, Lilliesleaf, Melrose).
- Senior male and overall senior – R and A Crockett’s Bacardi Nevis.
- Reserve senior male – Rednock Estate’s Rednock Nick.
- Senior female and reserve overall senior – Rednock Estate’s Rednock Myrrh.
- Reserve senior female – Colin McClymont’s Cuil Nice.
- Junior male and overall junior – R and A Crockett’s Bacardi Orleans.
- Reserve junior male – Farmstock Genetics’ Cumbrian Olympia Poll.
- Junior female and reserve overall junior – Farmstock Genetics’ Cumbrian Hyacinth.
- Reserve junior female – R and A Crockett’s Bacardi Octavia.